The villages on Öland
For thousands of years has Öland been a farmer’s country. Already during the Stone Age farmers started to grow soil and have domestic cattle. Radbyarna who still is on the island, has their roots from the medieval times.
The Ölandska radbyarna lies in a”laga” location.
“Laga” location means that all the villages’ plots have their bounds towards the main street. Around the village are fields and meadow grounds which were divided according to the sunshine. The farms share in the village was crucial for the field sizes, sharing in common hay harvests etc. Here distributed the rights of a farmer through and obligations in the village.
The normal farm type is the Geatish where the farmyard encircles completely by different houses. The rectangular yard short side bounds to the main street. Here is the main house longer inside with a fence or a wall and the house usually for the cattle is first, closest to the road. During the 1900’s big changes happened to radbyarna. Old outdated houses have subsequently been replaced with new; old unused houses have been torn down and left gaps in the house line. Outside the old yard stands new and bigger economy buildings fitted for machines and livestock. Today’s villages are also chipped plots with modern residential houses; here live also a lot of those who doesn’t make a living with farming.